Tuesday, September 09, 2014

 Thoughts From A New Teacher

Someone is out to get me. I know it. I can feel the eyes watching my every move as I go through my crazy day. Perhaps it's a government conspiracy. They want to see how I do under pressure. They sent their very best to test me. And they couldn't send just one person. No, they felt that would not provide enough information. They decided to send 20.....

I hardly have a moment of peace. Lunch time is delightful, but the clock glares at me, ticking away minute after minute....and time is up all too soon. And then they're back, much too noisily entering the room, taking forever to find their seats, wondering what's going to happen next, waiting to see how I'll react to their impatient questioning. I can see it in their eyes. I can read their minds. She's going to crack soon. Let's be extra loud. She'll never make it through this day. She'll quit this job and go home crying. And we'll win.

And then suddenly, from out of nowhere, one of them walks up to me and gives me a hug. A little while later I find a lollipop or a lovely drawing on my desk. I'm amazed by the creativity that exudes from the one who was completely off task and not very nice earlier in the day, but stayed after class so that I could help him finish making a "tuxedo" out of paper- complete with colored bow tie and lots of tape. He walked home wearing it.

I go home tired, my mind spinning, my voice gone, knowing that I have to do it all over again the next day. But I wonder if the one who went home sick is feeling any better. I'm excited because I know they are going to love the science project tomorrow. I hope that somehow I can help those who are really struggling with reading. So I'll get on pinterest and look for ideas. And I'll grade that stack of papers that seems never ending. And I'll go to bed early and pray again for strength and patience for another day.

And the government will probably not show up in my classroom, laughing because their 20 kids took me down. It might not be an easy job, but it's going to be a rewarding one.

 

No comments: