Friday, September 16, 2005

Nils Responds to the Question

Last night I was quite amused at the dinner table when Annika was again asking the famous question referred to in my previous post. She was posing the question to her brother. At first, he was simply repeating it, over and over.
"Are you happy or sad? Are you happy or sad?"
Then he answered it in an unexpected way. He started "crying". He put his hand near his mouth and made crying noises. He was showing me "sad", as he has had to do many times in our tutoring sessions. He knows that "happy" means that someone can be smiling or laughing, and "sad" means they might be frowning or crying. So, he answered the question by showing us the answer. Now, he wasn't really sad- this I realized because after his demonstration he started laughing and once again repeating the question. He was, I believe, rather proud of himself for answering the question for his audience in such a way.
And, I must admit, I was rather proud of him, too- as well as highly entertained!

1 comment:

joydriven said...

mel you're already getting hit with junk!
i'm proud of nils too. did you go see his art today?