Saturday, September 03, 2005

The Saga Continues.....

When I arrived at work yesterday, I was met by an interesting, and somewhat haunting, sight. In the kitchen, 2 little children were sitting on potty chairs. Each child had a small chair in front of them to use as a desk, and upon each desk sat a Magna Doodle. Imagine being able to doodle while you.....doodle. Well, only one doodle was happening in the kitchen, and it wasn't the potty kind.
The great pooper had yet to make his contribution of the day, and mommy was determined that whenever it came, it would be deposited in the potty chair.
I had arrived for a tutoring session- he remained on the potty for the session. While we worked, I kept checking the potty, but an hour and a half later, nothing had come.
I returned to the house in the evening-still nothing. He sat for another hour or so on the potty watching T.V. We watched Veggie Tales and Winnie the Pooh. He drank juice and ate nuts. Was this a case of constipation or stubbornness?
After dinner he was back on the potty. Mommy decided to take him outside for awhile. I had visions of poop in the grass and runaway children. When I looked out of the window, I saw him walking around in the yard naked. Mommy was calmly following him with the potty in her hands. By the time they came inside only a little pee had made it into the potty. It was now almost 7:00 at night- how long could he hold it?
Next idea- put the diaper on him for few minutes and watch him closely. Surely as soon as he had the protection of the diaper he would go. It worked- sort of. He started to go and mommy whipped the diaper off and put him on the potty. He stopped. The trick was repeated. I caught him this time as soon as the funny look crossed his face. A tiny bit of poop had made it into the potty. Where was the normal stuff? He was driving us crazy!
We gave him some privacy. Still nothing. We finally had to give up for the night. Mommy was exhausted, and I was going home. It had been a long day.
The poop did finally come. When I showed up for work today, daddy filled me in on the poop scoop. It came early this morning- not in the diaper- a good sign, right? Not in the potty- o.k. not a good sign. It ended up all over the carpet in the T.V. room.
And I think, for now, enough has been said.

No comments: