Monday, March 05, 2007

Why I Love My Job

Here's an overview of my evening at work:

First Nils and I went outside for a bit just for some fresh air. At least it wasn't absolutely freezing today. I tried to get him to ride his bike, but instead he wanted to sit in my car and pretend he was driving somewhere. He played with the wheel, tried to get the CD player to work and locked and unlocked the doors. I wish I'd have had my camera because he thought he was so cool - and he looked pretty cool in his very stripy hat driving away "to McDonalds".

Dinnertime: I sat with Annika, trying to get her to talk less and eat more. Marta sat at the end of table and sang her little heart out, as she knocked a bowl of jello onto the floor. Nils was having trouble sitting still so mommy was next to him, helping him with his hot dog. He was doing a bit of whining and trying to get away from the table. Out of the blue he exclaimed- "I need to call the right people!" I don't know who the "right people" are, but he must know somebody who would have let him get up and go play!

Marta discovered that 7up is a wonderful thing. She sat at the table drinking from the can with a straw and really enjoying herself. She decided to go downstairs. I didn't really notice what was going on with her because I was still helping Annika. I soon heard Marta crying. I went to the stairway - she was sitting halfway down the stairs, with the can of pop next to her and a big puddle at her feet. I cleaned her and the stairs up- when you are almost 2, it must be very difficult to maneuver down the stairs with a pop can.

Bedtime: I put all 3 to bed tonight because mommy and daddy had a dinner to go to. Nils went first and went to sleep pretty fast- after we read the "Fergus" book. It is his new favorite book. Fergus is a crazy dog- the best part is when he goes potty on the sidewalk while taking a walk- Nils laughs and laughs every time we get to that page.
Marta was next. I read her a story and sang her a song, then whispered: "It's time to go to bed, okay?"
"Okay," she whispered back. She always whispers when you whisper to her- way cute!
Now Annika. She "read" me a story, and we said our prayers. Then she said, " I love you. I don't want you to ever leave."
"Well, I can't stay her forever. I have to go to my house."
"Don't worry, " she said seriously. "Barb can come here, too."
I laughed. "Oh, Barb and Karyn and Annie and Buddy can all come here with me, and we'll all live in this house?"
"Yeah." She thought it was a great plan.
"Annika, that would be crazy!"
"No," she responded. "It wouldn't be crazy. It would be 'larious'."

I laughed and laughed.

2 comments:

Visual Reflections said...

I am so glad that I was able to meet thes kids on one of my visits there. The Lord has blessed you wit a wonderful job!

JennieB said...

that would be 'larious! Buddy would love it for sure though... lots of crumbs to eat under a table of three little ones!