Friday, January 30, 2009

Thinking on Good Things

Today would have been my grandpa's 82nd birthday. Yesterday was the 3rd anniversary of his "promotion to glory." I was thinking about him last night before I went to bed. My brother sent me a message- part of a song that had been sung at grandpa's funeral. It's a song about a faithful preacher who never gives in to new religious fads as times change. He still stands for the truth of God's Word- and is not afraid to preach the whole truth.

I really didn't spend a lot of time with my grandpa because he lived so far away. Usually I would see him once a year. And I didn't agree with him on everything- though I never had the audacity to start a debate with him! I would keep my NKJV Bible hidden when I was at his house! I remember when I went down for the funeral- I walked into the house, through the kitchen, stopping at the dining room door. My eyes immediately fell on his open Bible on the table and the empty chair next to it. It was the strangest thing that he wasn't sitting there reading......that's where he usually was. I realized how thankful I was for that memory. He was a man who pastored for 55 years, never deviating from the truth that men are sinners who need Christ. He wasn't afraid to walk up to people and talk to them about Jesus. He consistently wrote letters to the editor of the newspaper when he felt the need to speak out about something. And the paper printed his letters. Everyone in town knew this old preacher and what he stood for.

At his visitation, there was a record number of people in the funeral home. People from law enforcement and government offices were there. And at the funeral people lined the back walls of the church. Pastors and preachers came from all over to say goodbye to someone they highly respected and loved. I am thankful for those memories too. I am especially thankful that the Lord gave me such a godly example in my grandfather.

Now the old preacher man stands there in that city
The city he's preached of so long.
But he's never seen such a great congregation
All gathered to welcome him home.
And he's never heard more beautiful singing
Than is coming from that heavenly band.
He's preached his last sermon, carried his last burden,
He's at rest in that heavenly land.

1 comment:

Ann-Marie said...

That's beautiful, Mel!