Sunday, August 01, 2010

Little Bitty Baby

My latest charge is tiny. I met him when he was 3 days old. It has been awhile since I have taken care of a newborn. I always have these horrible visions of him falling out of my arms and onto the floor. Thankfully these have not been prophetic visions!

Let me make it very clear that this is not an ugly baby! He is super cute with lots of black hair sticking up all over his head. However, he is very LOUD! I swear his lungs must be too big for his body. When the face starts crinkling up and the mouth opens, watch out.......it will not be a pretty sound. The kid has me running around - grabbing the pacifier or the bottle and him and rushing off to the bedroom, closing the door behind me. This is our secret hideout complete with squeaky rocking chair, diapers, wipes, burp rags and bassinet. And yes, we have to hide out because mommy works at home as a massage therapist, and while all of her clients think the baby is "adorable", they don't really like to hear him scream.

So little Lakyn and I are holed up in the back of the house until the crying stops. On one of my first days with him he started fussing. I scooped him up and set him down on mommy and daddy's bed with his pacifier. I went in to use the bathroom and when I came back he had used the bathroom. The new diapers did not do their job. Please someone explain this to me: if the boy is lying on the bed, how does the pee-pee totally soak the back and not the front of him? It drenched through his outfit, the comforter and the sheets. I was amazed at the amount of pee that had come out, since I had changed him less than 30 minutes before. And he hates getting changed! The screaming continued as I cleaned him up and put on a new diaper and a new outfit. Finally the bottle brought peace.......until the next drama. And trust me, there's always drama!

No comments: