Friday, August 13, 2010

Traumatic Experiences

I never liked shots. Who does, really? Obviously some people are more accepting of it than others, but a big needle poking me is not something that makes me think happy thoughts. And when you are itty bitty and don't understand what is going on, a shot is just something that ruins your day!

Poor little Lakyn had his first round of shots yesterday, and he was so unhappy. I spent the day telling him that doctors are terribly mean people and how sorry I was that they treated him so badly. I participated in his drug therapy- doses of tylenol every 3-4 hours (it was obvious when the medicine was wearing off). The screaming was just so sad - I have mentioned that the boy has a serious set of lungs and at times the screaming is frustrating, but this was totally necessary. I mean, the poor child has 3 little holes in his legs- there is such a thing as screaming at an appropriate time and for good reason. Thankfully tylenol made him sleepy- so there was relief from pain and suffering for awhile.

We spent the afternoon on the bed. I watched t.v. with a little bundle on my chest. Apparently this is his favorite sleeping position and because of the terrible situation he had endured, I indulged him. I really didn't mind too much. He would wake up briefly, cry a little like a wounded puppy, and then cuddle up again, trying to forget the painful memories of doctors and needles by going back to dreamland, content with the knowledge that this babysitter lady was definitely not someone who would poke him with a sharp object. In fact, he might consider forgiving her for being so slow about getting the bottle ready...........and he might even smile a little at her.....oh, wait, the tylenol just wore off.....AAAHHHHHHHH!

No comments: